Friday, July 17, 2015

Chinese Type 53 carbine Mosin Nagant

The Mosin Nagant is without a doubt the most popular surplus rifle on the market today.  While prices have gone up over the years, they are still an awesome value.  Most of the Mosins out there are standard 91/30 full length rifles.  These were built in the Former Soviet Union by the millions and stockpiled just about everywhere they had influence.  Among the 91/30s, you will also find the occasional M44 Carbine.  These short rifles are essentially a 91/30 with a shorter barrel and a permanently fixed, folding bayonet.
In 1953 the People's republic of China went looking for a carbine and found one in the Soviet Union.  According to some sources, the Soviets packed up the machine tools and shipped them to China as a gift to their fellow communists.  In any event, the Type 53 was born.  Type 53 = Chinese M44.

I acquired mine in a trade for some guns that I was no longer in love with.  I had sold my Mauser and felt naked without a surplus bolt gun in my arsenal.  Therefore the Mosin.  Everything about it is straight Mosin.  Other than the Chinese script and the import marks, the untrained eye can't tell it's not Soviet.  I am no expert on the Mosin and really don't want to be.  I find the old bolt guns fun and historic.  I like shooting it, so that is good enough for me.  

Speaking of shooting, these things do have a kick.  I find the Mosin to have less of a sharp kick than the Mauser 98, but it is still an arm bruiser.  Steel butt plates are great for cracking your opponent in the head with, but they are murder on the shoulder.  A slip on pad from Pachmeyer works wonders for me.  There are other pads out there that screw on, but I have read mixed reviews.

If you like owning a flamethrower, get a Mosin carbine.  They throw flames from the muzzle every time.  I have also found that it is more accurate with the bayonet out.  Actually Mosins were usually meant to fire with bayonets attached.  That is how the Soviets carried them and that is how they were sighted in.  Of course that can be adjusted, but I just deploy the pig sticker and fire away.
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when the guy pulled a Chinese Mosin out to trade me, but I'm glad I have it.  It is everything a Mosin is supposed to be, but didn't get drug through WWII.  I have a decent looking, good shooting, surplus rifle that didn't break the bank.  I would think that the value of these things will go up more.  Who knows how much.  I doubt they will ever be big bucks, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment