Friday, July 10, 2015

7.62x54r .32 caliber shell adapter

Being a strange and cheap fellow, I'm always looking for wacky ways to use guns I already have in new ways.  When I came across this cartridge adapter, I just had to have one.



So basically what was done here was that some enterprising person duplicated the exterior dimensions of a 7.62x54r cartridge, minus the bullet.  Then they chambered the inside of said item just like a .32 H&R Magnum.  This allows the use of .32 caliber pistol ammo in the calibers of .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, .32 ACP, and .32 H&R magnum.  That's quite a selection to choose from!  Sadly I don't see the .32 federal mag listed, but hey, how much can we ask for?

I bought mine from the Sportsman's Guide, but they are on Ebay too.  They are mainly for use in Mosin Nagant rifles, as using one in a SVT 40 would be comical.  Cost is around $25.

They are also offered for a few other rifles as well.  Just Google chamber adapter for whatever rifle you have.

I have used one of these in my Chinese Type 53 using my handloaded .32 S&W loads.  They have zero recoil,  Accuracy is actually not bad at pistol ranges.  I wasn't expecting to hit anything, but it does.  Turning a hard hitting battle rifle into a soft shooting plinker is worth $25, even if it turns it into a single shot.


And that is the only trouble with the adapter.  It's a one at a time operation.  Stuff whatever .32 ammo you want into it, push the loaded adapter up into the Mosin's chamber and close the bolt.  After firing, the adapter comes out just like a 7.62 shell.  However, you are best advised to pull the bolt back slowly and catch the adapter, lest the adapter fall on a hard surface.  If you allow it to fling out and smack the cement it will dent the tip of the adapter.  Shooting it has always straightened it out again, but I'm sure that isn't good for it.

Conclusion:  Fun yes.  Rapid fire no, It's great tool for teaching people who are new to the old battle rifle how to shoot without burning up their shoulder or your full size ammo.  It's also a lot of fun for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment