Monday, January 19, 2015

GUN LUST PART ONE - WINCHESTER 1907

We all have those guns that keep coming back to us in our dreams.  You know, the ones that you just can't get out of your head?  I have quite a few of these guns rattling around my skull.  One of the ones that I just can't let go of is the Winchester 1907.  I first fell for the 1907 when I saw Jim Green disassemble one on his you tube channel.  I thought, wow, what a nice handy little rifle.



I love the fact that it is an auto-loader designed and built in the age of bolt and lever guns.  Like many of Winchesters offerings back then, the 07 was never really intended to chamber a 30-06 or any other super high power cartridges.  It was the quintessential carbine.  With a box magazine and a handy charging rod up in front of the forearm, the 07 just looks like it would be quick and easy to handle.  Truth be known, I've never even seen one of these things in person, but I just love the idea of a short, quick handling carbine with decent fire power.

It was designed by Thomas Crossley Johnson, who was responsible for several other Winchester designs.  Most notably in my book, the Model 12 shotgun.  It fires the .351 Winchester Self-Loading cartridge, which is not overpowered for large game, but I suspect many a deer fell to it through the years.  The blow back design certainly does have its limitations, but the .351 is no slouch.   Police agencies were one of its fans.  As were some military customers in WWI.  I would have welcomed the chance to field one of these as opposed to a 5 round bolt gun.  Sure, it won't reach out 800 yards like an 03 Springfield, but closer in I'd imagine it would do fine.  And it's quick handling and semi auto action would have been a major plus to me over a 6 foot bayoneted pig sticker.

And its a take down.  Ya gotta love Winchester!  So if anyone has one of these they want to sell me for a song, Ahhhhh dreams.




No comments:

Post a Comment