Tuesday, January 27, 2015

BROWNING BUCKMARK



My very first firearm!!  My Nephew and I purchased this gun used around 1999.  I had just gotten into shooting and was looking to get a little something.  As it turned out, his friend's Dad had this Buckmark that he was willing to part with.


It's a Buckmark plus model, which gave you wood grips and a 5.5 inch slab sided bull barrel.  For those unfamiliar with these pistols, they are a further development of the challenger series of target pistols that Browning had been making for many years.  They are a single action, blow back operated, semi automatic using a hammer that is hidden inside the gun.  The magazine holds 10 rounds of .22 long rifle.


The frame is aluminum alloy, which is very light, but the bull barrel weighs as much as the rest of the gun.  This heft up front keeps the pistol on target and stops the shooter from swaying around too much.  These guns are a pleasure to shoot.  The trigger is ultra light.  Mine breaks at just over 2 pounds.  The sights are large in comparison to rifle sights but are easy to acquire.  The front is fixed and the rear is adjustable for windage and elevation.  My gun is an early 1990s example.  Most newer buckmarks are equipped with fiber optic sights.  I think I will replace mine with the williams fire sights at some point in the future.



The strange thing about the Buckmark is the arrangement of the slide under a cover that also serves as a mount for the rear sight.  It is uncommon and seems an odd way to design a pistol.  My Dad hates racking the slide on it because he invariably grabs the cover along with the slide.  Browning has since added a couple of blocks to give you something to grab.





This gun's accuracy is simply amazing.  The heavy barrel and ultra light trigger combine to make a target pistol that hits targets well.  I have amazed myself so many times with this gun.  Shooting golf balls standing one handed at 30 yards is so satisfying.  I used to shoot wires strung off of logs or between buildings when I had the chance.  The gun is like a helping hand, encouraging you to go for it.

It has been remarkably durable despite the thousands and thousands of rounds that have gone down the barrel.  I replaced the original recoil spring assembly with a new one from Brownells. I've also replaced the buffer that sits at the back of the frame. And this past fall I purchased 2 new magazines because the original mag had started to cause jambs, due to the spring just plain wearing out.  The new mags have an extended floor plate that make it easier to load them into the gun.

I love this gun!  If I had to replace it, I would consider a Ruger.  I've shot them and I like them.  But, the Buckmark has done me well.  Why mess with success?

An amazing engraving done by Baron Engraving

No comments:

Post a Comment