Monday, January 18, 2016

Budget AR Build, part 2

As you can see, the lower got painted.  It turned out looking very good, but I was disappointed with the ease at which I could scratch the primer off of the lower.  I stripped it all back off and roughed the lower up with a red scotch brite.  I shot it with the same Duplicolor acid etch primer.  Again it turned out looking great.  I was able to scratch it off in a couple hidden spots.  I debated top coating it with Rustoleum camo green, but I figured why top coat something that has not adhered to the metal?  I have gone ahead with assembly anyway.  I really don't care about the paint at this point.  If it holds up, great, if not I can always redo in the future.

The mistake:

Yes, I have made some.  #1 I'd say was not buying a lower parts kit right away.  I was trying to save money so I put it off.  I ran into the local shop on lunch and bought what I thought was all I needed for $18.  Well I didn't get a bolt catch or the mag release parts.  I guess I bought an "oops" kit.  I also ended up buying the grip and trigger guard separate.  Those were cheap, but I could have just bought it all in one bag and saved the headache. I still have to buy the bolt and mag catches as well as my takedown and pivot pins.  I'll end up spending more money than if I had just bought a stupid kit. Lesson learned.

As you can see below, I have made some progress.  The charging handle was $16 from Roush Sports in Austin TX.  They have good prices and offer free shipping on everything but mags.  I went to Big R and found that their selection of mags was actually pretty good.  I decided on a 30 round Pmag because of the good reputation.  I'll probably try out different styles of mags in the future, but $14.99 for the Pmag seemed like a good deal and I didn't have to wait for the mail.



So, at this point I still need to get the mag catch/button, the bolt catch, pivot/takedown pins, a sight, and my complete buttstock kit.  That sounds like a lot, but it will come together.  Again, most of those parts would have been included in a lower parts kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment