Wednesday, June 24, 2015

OLD SHOTGUN FACINATION

What is wrong with me?  I have this thing for old shotguns.  Old, used, nicked up, and just plain beat; I do love them.  What draws a person to an old war horse with no bluing, 2-3/4 chamber, and a full choke worthless for modern waterfowl loads?  I don't know the exact reasoning, but I'd say it has to do with time travel.  Old things take me back to the time that they were made or used.  It's easy to forget how much things have changed in 50-100 years, but things were very different not so long ago.



When I pickup an old shotgun, I imagine a group of hunters out on a cold fall day hunting the abundant ducks on the Illinois River.  Or maybe a Father out hunting rabbits for the first time with his kids.

The rusty metal, the poly chokes, splits in the wood, all that turns most people off, but to me, they are more desirable than a new Benneli in full camo with a 3-1/2 inch chamber.  Sure that new Benneli is an awesome gun, but it has no history.  And history is 1/2 the reason I shoot.




I find it entertaining just to shop the used guns at my local shop.  I find so much neat old stuff.  16 gauges are always in good supply, since no one seems to shoot them anymore.  Old pump guns from Montgomery Ward, JC Penney, Sears.  Ah the glory of the department store shotgun.



Did I mention these guns are cheap?  Yes, very cheap.  It seems the shotgunning world places a premium on newness more that the rifle or pistol world.  My local shops have perfectly good pump guns for $150 $225 all day long.  And older guns tend to be built nicer in my opinion.  Walnut wood and good steel is always a plus to me, even if it does need refinishing.





No comments:

Post a Comment